Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving... Congratulations to the guys for the great win last week -- looking forward to the game on Thursday!

This will be a short week, but we have much to do (of course):

First, although I didn't give any homework over the break, you should be finishing up DEAR books and any other outside reading assignments. Your papers will be due soon on those.

Seniors, I'll give you your research papers on Monday to REVISE. We'll discuss the final format and answer general questions concerning your papers. I'm happy to say that many (most?) of your papers are close to finished, and I believe you've produced some good writing overall. However, as noted, I have made corrections/suggestions on ALL of your papers (three each, for those who have completed the assignments), and I fully expect you to follow my suggestions for revision. Those of you who are behind need to catch up. All grades are due in about three weeks, which means you have about two weeks to deliver the final product.

Juniors, we will start reading "Young Goodman Brown" and Other Stories on Monday. There are a total of seven stories, and we'll read all of them before the break. We'll also discuss paper topics, research, and integrating sources.

Freshmen, we are currently reading Act Three of Romeo & Juliet (just in case you've mysteriously forgotten what we've been doing). I've posted a link to the "No Fear" edition for those interested. I encourage you to shop locally and to order from Windows.

NOTE: You are not required to buy a copy of the play in modern language. We will be discussing the play in class and watching two different film versions, as well.


We will finish the play in the next two weeks, and a large portion of the midterm will cover the play; however, our video projects might have to wait until after the break.

Popular posts from this blog

Juniors ~ Restoration Period

For more on the Restoration Period, go to the homepage for the Norton Anthology of English Literature . Click on the picture below to go to Wikipedia's page on Hogarth's Marriage a-la-mode :

Homework

Seniors Your exam is on Thursday, and your final essay is on Friday. I'll talk more about the essay in class tomorrow. Also, the senior auction project lacks one more important detail - your memories! We will spend a bit of time tomorrow in class writing down some of your fondest memories of your senior year, and the rest of your time at RO.  Sophomores Read "Lines Composed a few miles above Tintern Abbey," and complete the questions at the end of the selection in your book. As always, please use complete sentences and cite frequently from the text.

Monday Work

Sophomores We are going to discuss Ch11-16 in class Monday and finish answering the study questions for Tuesday. Seniors The first thing we will do on Monday is discuss your updated plans for school and career. A one page "addendum" to your career paper is due on Tuesday . Include whether or not you plan to pursue the career discussed in your research paper and why or why not. Also include plans for career post-graduation and any career-related plans for this summer. This paper can be informal in tone but should follow the conventions of college-level writing. Share with me via email as "lastname-addendum." We will also discuss the letter you will all write to your future selves (five years from now). Every year, the senior class writes a set of letters, and every year I mail a set from five years ago.This letter should include anything you'd like to remember about your senior year, or your goals and values right now, or your tastes and opinions. I will m...